Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My 1st Visit to the NC Museum of Art

I am embarrassed to admit that even though I have lived in NC for going on 5 years this was my fisrt visit to the NC Museum of Art. Do not get me wrong I love art it is just that I could never seem to find the time to go.

Growing up I was fortunate to go to a school that had an extensive art program; where in elementary school I would have art class 2 or 3 times a week and there were always extracurricular FREE art programs being offered. Now granted I never had a fieldtrip to an art museum when I was in elementary school but I was exposed to various types of arts through fieldtrips to local galleries, museums, and local artist guest speakers. My family also took initiative and although it was not always pleasant they would take me and my sisters to the various museums, galleries, and collections that NYC is home to. But in that aspect I was lucky....my school was and still is well funded, my parents could afford to take me to the City and I lived relatively close....2 hours but still closer than some.

Not every child is so lucky. Not every school is close enough to a well-established and maintained collection. Going on a fieldtrip to an art museum or gallery might be the only time a student will ever do that...they may not like but they were exposed to it and were given an opportunity that not every student gets. This museum visit was excellent because not only did it make me aware of this resource and its importance but it forced me to actually go and see what was there and how although it may not be the history museum it is still a valuable resource that I am fortunate to have.

1 comment:

tduncan said...

What a great balance you now have with your family influences and your educational experiences. What lucky students will be in your future classes ;)