Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What do you mean the textbook does not have all the answers? Oh maybe I should know the questions first.

Maybe I am just a positive thinker but I cannot fathom how a teacher can effectively teach without knowing what he.she wanted to teach the students and what he/she intended learning outcomes/objectives were. That is just scary....to me it would be like saying I feel like visiting Russia but I am not going to do any research about where I am going, I am not going to learn the language, even the basics such as how to say "I do not speak Russian." or "Where is the ladies room?" in essence it is just ridiculous. Now do not get me wrong I have witnessed lessons that have left me to wonder if the teacher really knew what they wanted to accomplish or if they were just trying to keep the students busy. But then why teach if that is how you are going to teach.

Knowing the essential questions is well....essential. Not only does it let me the teacher focus on my intended goals and learning outcomes but it keeps me on track. For me history is already an exciting part of the curriculum that I look forward to teaching but I will admit that when it comes to planning out my lessons it can also be very daunting because I have alot of content knowledge and it is hard to focus in on one or two specific important areas, especially considering that I feel all aspects and a majority of historical events important. Anyone who knows me knows that if they ask a question about history...colonial American history in general be prepared to stay and listen awhile because I have alot of information I will share and usually I will go off on a tangent focusing on one faucet or another regardless of time. So for me it is...haha....essential to have essential questions not only when I plan my lesson but also to refer back to because I may become distracted and go off task whether I mean to or not while teaching.

1 comment:

tduncan said...

So you're for or against the fact finding questions which are most often used when referring to a textbook? What about dates, times, periods, etc? Should those just be easily accessible or required to be
memorized?

You're my resident "history buff" so I'm curious about the method of finding information. Do you think using essential questions will guide the students well enough to KNOW the specifics? Or is just being familiar with enough?