Monday, July 27, 2009

My Teaching Reflection.....

I LOVE TEACHING!!!! Okay maybe that is a little too enthusiastic...but...I LOVE TEACHING!!!!

Every time I have the opportunity to teach a lesson in a classroom I find that it not only gives me the chance to improve on my planning and teaching skills but it also gives me the much needed opportunity to reflect on my teaching strategies and learn from the experience as a whole. This time was of no exception.

Despite prior preparation and completion of my lesson plan, I found myself on the morning before I was due to teach sitting outside reflecting on my lesson once again, making changes, and bouncing ideas off a 19 month old and a 3 year old ( I will take any help I can get.). At around 10 o'clock I found myself with a revised lesson that I could not for the life of me get to print off of the computer....I despise .doc vs. docx and Open Access.....but anyway in order to remedy the situation I decided to copy the revisions to the two hard copies I had printed previously that morning. Once that hurdle was out of the way and the babysitter arrived...I in my car on my way to teach.

My partner and I arrived at the school prior to lunch so we could get a head start on an observation project we had to do for another class. I found that this extra time I got to spend in the classroom prior to teaching my lesson was very beneficial to me because the students seemed more comfortable around myself and my partner and I was more comfortable around them and the school in general by that point.

The 4th grade activity-based social studies lesson plan that I designed and taught incorporated teaching students the essentials of a timeline and how to read one while incorporating the founding of North Carolina and European Explorers that led to European Immigration. Wow, that is a mouthful. The lesson had students explore and analyze chronology through storytelling, which they then applied to creating a personal timeline that led to the students applying their knowledge of timelines as they explored and discussed a timeline featuring European Explorers in North Carolina. Overall, I thought that the basis of the activity was engaging and that the students would have the chance to recall and demonstrate any background knowledge they had that related to chronology, timelines, and/or European exploration of North Carolina.

Implementing the lesson proved more challenging than I had anticipated only because I had to teach the lesson out in the bustling hallway due to lack of space. During one part of the lesson, the students needed to create a personal timeline using a colored marker and 5 index cards. The students were ingenious in finding ways to accomplish this task out in the hall but it was not easy because they were sitting on the grade and did not have a lot of space to lay out their cards. Location also became an issue when I needed to post the timeline of European Explorers of North Carolina because there was no place to do so that allowed the students to be able to see it and for me to be able to work with it as a guide for the discussion.

There were some changes I would make besides where I would actually teach the lesson. If I did the lesson again I would break the lesson up over a longer period of time so that students could explore the importance of chronology and timelines more not only in social studies but the application and integration of timelines in science (plant life) and in math (time segments, different ways to design a timeline). I also think that creating a class timeline that would be added to throughout the year would prove beneficial to the students allowing them to see how history relates to them and explore it from different aspects. And on a final note I would make sure that when I was making changes to a lesson plan prior to teaching I would be able to print the new lesson out instead of having to handwrite the changes but that is just me.

In the end I feel that the lesson was a success. Why? The students were actively engaged and asking and answering questions that went beyond the intended learning objectives of the lesson. As I was asking questions throughout the students were revising previous answers, rethinking their schema and reflecting on and tying in different aspects of timelines and their uses. The students, although time ran out, seemed to enjoy learning about the timeframe of European exploration using the timeline as a tool and I was amazed at the predictions, inferences, and conclusions they made all from the same timeline...in fact they made me want to explore some questions I had on my own about European exploration of North Carolina...maybe a trip to the NC Museum of History is in order.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Vanessa, it really was a pleasure to be able to watch you teach your lesson. It was a wonderful lesson and the amount of time, thought and preparation you put into it really shone through. To anyone who doubts your ability to speak loudly in front of a group of students, I assure you, she rang clear as a bell! She projected well and showed a great amount of confidence and excitement in front of the students.